Saturday, September 20, 2014

Why EdCamps?




Thirty-plus years a teacher, I've attended my share of conferences and presented at a good many as well. I valued them for chance to look beyond my classroom, my school, my community. 'What else is happening?' 'What is another way of doing what I'm doing? - or if I was a presenter:  'How do other teachers respond to what I am doing?'

However, no matter where or what the conference, there  was always a lack of time to engage in conversations at a deeper level even during the most participant-active presentations. At times, a conference felt like being at smorgasbord of the decade's best foods and never given more than a smell or a small lick of the offerings. Reflecting on these experiences, I believe my disappointment in the process was largely due to the following:
  •  the ideas, concerns, issues I encountered during conference sessions often did suggest new directions, but by the time I'd returned to the classroom much of my excitement would fade beneath day-to-day demands; any chance of innovation was mentally and physically filed away for a summer review by which time my mind had traveled elsewhere
  • at the conference I was largely a vessel for information, a token agent in process
  • as I shuffled from room to room with groups of teachers gathering notes, handouts and photos, I sometimes experienced the isolation of being a low valued member of a crowd because there were no on site chances to tease apart and debate the possibilities being aired during sessions
Now I realize what I was craving an EdCamp experience.

EdCamps are participant driven 'unconferences' with a few simple guidelines.

  • free to all participants
  • for educators by educators
  • the space is provided by EdCamp, the discussion themes by the participants
  • the day's sessions are listed at the start of the event by any participant
  • the educator-generated sessions unfold as those present determine
For more information, including a number of descriptive videos: https://edcamp.wikispaces.com/Promotional+Material

No comments:

Post a Comment